Hunker down with this one on a chilly fall or winter day! And, it’s a no-brainer for kids. The ‘cheese’ sauce is essentially made of all vegetables and, once it’s been blended together in the food processor, the speckles of green from the broccoli make it look even more fun to eat.
The nutritional yeast (which is filled with the essential vitamin B12, a vitamin that most Americans lack, mixed with the other healthy liquid ingredients is what gives it its cheesiness.
AND, if you use the brown rice quinoa fusilli, it packs it with even more protein. Basically, almost everything in here, except the oil, are known as “superfoods”, so you get all the yumminess and comfort without the guilt – enjoy!
GUILT-FREE MAC & CHEESE
1 package (4 cups) Trader Joe’s (gluten-free!) brown rice quinoa fusilli pasta (or whatever pasta you want)
1 large head cauliflower, chopped
2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
1 bunch broccoli, chopped
2/3 cup nutritional yeast
1/3 cup almond (or any plant-based) milk
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/3 cup water
1/2 juice of lemon
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Paprika, as garnish (optional)
Vegan parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Cook pasta according to package directions, drain, and set aside.
2. Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Add in the chopped cauliflower and carrots and then the broccoli shortly thereafter. Cook for 10-15 minutes, or until softened. Drain, and add to a food processor or high speed blender.
3. Add in the almond milk, oil, water, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Process/blend until smooth and creamy. (This is your cheese sauce).
4. Pour drained pasta back into pot and add cheese sauce and mix well.
5. Serve, with a sprinkle some paprika or store-bought vegan parmesan cheese (optional)
*Vegan Insanity is the author of the original recipe and I’ve made various modifications.